Thursday, January 24, 2008

What a cool school

The picture sucks because it was taken from my phone, but we got to attend Family Supper Night at Grace's school and were treated to a mini-concert from Dallas' own Polyphonic Spree (a stripped-down version because the full band of 20+ people wouldn't be able to fit on an elementary school stage). The lead singer/creator of the band has three kids that go to our school. They did a great job of talking about all the different instruments they had up on stage (trumpet, flute, keyboard, cello, drums, etc.), sang 2 or 3 of their songs, and even sang a supposed improv song based on an animal thrown out from the crowd (pretty ponies eating grass).

Grace surprised me by going down by herself to sit with the other kids in front of the stage. Alex and I were about 8 rows back. I was even more impressed when I found out she wasn't sitting with anyone she knew because she wanted to sit right in front of the stage and all her friends were further back. I loved that my kids got an up close and personal look at a real live music show. I told Grace afterward that people pay money to see bands like that play, which is true because even though it was short and for kids, it was a professionally played show.

One of the local restaurants provided build-you-own taco dinner, and there were "math games" outside each of the classrooms. Poor Jim seems to have been hit by a big bad virus, so he wasn't able to make it. But the rest of us had a great time.

No comments: