Friday, February 29, 2008

What a racket

I took Grace to see the Junie B. Jones play at Casa Manana last weekend with some friends of ours. Fun to see, especially since the story was based on one of the books we have here and have read. And fun to go to Casa Manana, which I probably haven't been to in over 20 years.

But frustrating, because like just about every other person in America I purchased the tickets through Ticketmaster. Oh, I suppose I could have tried to call the box office directly, or had the parents trek over to the theater, but I simply clicked the "buy tickets online" button on the website. I didn't realize until after I'd received the tickets in the mail (and my friend was writing a check for hers) that listed on the receipt was the face value for the 5 tickets being $55. However, the total bill with fees and all ended up coming to ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. It is absolutely insane that I paid double for tickets simply because I purchased through Ticketmaster. And that was with just general mail delivery.

Jim said he's run into the same thing lately when buying tickets for some live music shows he's attended with some of his friends. I've always been bugged by Ticketmaster fees, but now I'm going to go out of my way to try to purchase directly from venues. It will be a pain in my ass, but it needs to be done.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Amen sistah! It's so ridiculous that they've been able to keep raising that service charge over the years, and people (including me) just keep paying it for the convenience of buying online. If enough people boycott them, maybe they'd have to change their ways, but I doubt that many people are willing to do what you're proposing.