Monday, September 12, 2005

Music

Is it pathetic that when I hear music from the 80's I still get totally psyched? (Is it totally 80's that I use the phrase "psyched"?) A lot of times when Grace is in school I have a dead time between eating lunch and picking her up. Sometimes I switch on the VH1 Classics station, and from 1-2pm they have the Pop Music show. Now I can do without the hair bands and the cheesy top 40. But I LOVE it when an "Alternative" song comes on. So far in the past 15 minutes or so I've seen The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Alex was rocking out to "Relax" (I'm sure much to Jim's horror now). And I'd hate to see the percentage of tunes on my iPod that are pre-1990.

Oh well - when you no longer have much access to GOOD new music, you have to fall back on what you know (one of the downsides of staying at home is not being able to run Radio Paradise on my computer all day).

Yikes - Olivia Newton John is now warbling "I Honestly Love You". Time to go back upstairs and finish cleaning.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I think it has something to do with the time of your life when you are most carefree. That's the music that will always "pyche" us when we hear it, no matter how old we get. In the eightees we were finishing high school, starting college, and didn't have near the stress we do nowadays. Although I had the unfortunate luck of liking alot of those hair bands back then, and now they just make me giggle.

Julie said...

I rocked out to an AC/DC "rock block" on KZPS while driving to Hurst last Saturday. Not a hair band, but it does go to show I'm not totally stuck on just old Alternative. I also mix it up with old classic rock!

Kathy said...

Try looking at all the iTunes playlists that have "70's" in the title. I tried the songs on one called "70's AM Radio" and ended up buying about 3 songs I had completely forgotten. They were all the songs I had on 45's. One was Island Girl by Elton John (Karen and I did a tumbling routine to that at the Y), Billy Preston's Nothing From Nothing, Love Train, and lots of others....

From the 80's I got a couple of Triumph songs recently. Aaaahh, NTSU era.

Anonymous said...

Well, some of the music from the late 50's and very early 60's can cause the same reaction in The Old Folks, no matter how really bad the doo-wappa-doo lyrics are. Trouble is the radio stations consider that "ancient music" rather than "oldies" so we never hear it.

Anonymous said...

Just please assure me that you will never ever get my son hooked on Spandaux Ballet or Cocteu Twins. Really, I mean it.

Kathy said...

...or the Pet Shop Boys...


Jim, Aunt Kathy is going to buy Alex a mini Boy George outfit.