I was watching an interview with Bode Miller tonight after he screwed up and ended up 0 for 5 at the Olympics. It really bothered me. He made it sound like the whole reason for going to the games was to have a good time in Torino, which he apparently did (though he was quick to point out that he didn't get drunk when he went out at night). Now I'm all for the athletes stepping away from the "win at all costs" mindset, but I think if you go to the freaking Olympics you should certainly do everything in your power to perform at the top of your game. And listening to the announcers during Bode's last event made it sound like he hadn't - that he'd just slacked off and wasn't performing at the level he had been in the past. I couldn't help but think about the poor people who would have loved to be on the Olympic ski team that would have pushed themselves to do their very best to shine for their country. I also wondered if Nike has a clause in their contract with him about how performs - they certainly put enough money behind him this year. I did see that they have a version of his ad where he talks about not getting any medals, so at least they thought this one out.
Oh, and a big Happy Birthday goes out to Brian today!
No comments:
Post a Comment