Monday, January 26, 2009

Hair trigger

Literally.

Alex seemingly has a hair-trigger gag reflex. He gets a hair in his mouth, he spits up. He smells something stinky, he spits up. He sees where the dog has barfed on the floor, he spits up. He sees a small floating piece of dirt/leaf/whatever (I'm not sure what it was), he spits up.

Now to be fair to the boy, he doesn't spit up EVERY time, but definitely more than the average 4-year old.

I got home yesterday from taking Lucy to the dog park, having left Jim playing with the kids. And I hear the story about this exchange while I was gone:

"Look Daddy" (said while pointing to the floor)

"What is it, Alex?"

"I spit up"

"Why did you spit up?"

"Because I saw your tummy. It was hairy. And yucky."

So apparently now the site of my dear husband's hairy belly is enough to set Alex off. Don't know what the boy is going to do when he grows up and gets a hairy belly of his own (maybe not look in any mirrors from the shoulders down?).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor old hairy Jim.

Anonymous said...

That was me, Kathy who said that... I can't figure out how to make the comment in my name anymore.

Anonymous said...

Could make for a difficult beach trip this summer, given the amount of hair on my belly.

Anonymous said...

Poor Alex. He better not even head down to the beach at all! I know I've seen some things there that came close to making me spit up.

Anonymous said...

Ok we have one of those- obviously he is used to hairy men but one time we were on a bike trail in Granville, Ohio and it went past a cow field which was filled with cow patties. He started gagging and I didn't think he was going to be able to ride his bike past it.

He has a major gag reflex. Can you guess which one??

Christi (Hutchins) Dick said...

As someone who has known all of you since you were way cool teenagers, did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think you'd have a conversation like this?

Julie said...

Pretty pathetic, isn't it!