Friday, January 23, 2009

Snow

Amid the culture shock of moving 1500 miles from Texas, I've realized that (at least for the time being) I really like the snow. Now, I know I may get comments from those of you more used to living in the northern half of the country than me about how by February I won't be loving it so much, but let's just wait until then. For now, it is just amazing to me to look out the window and see snow on the ground that has been there for the past week. That is one thing that struck me recently - for the few times we actually got snow in Texas (and I'm talking snow, not ice), it never lasted more than a day or so. And by the second day if it had stuck around it was only in patches in the shadows or on the north side of the house. So I'm enjoying this winter wonderland I am currently living in, mainly because I now have a reason to wear my waterproof Timberland shoes and my warm Eddie Bauer parka.

Here's a few wonderful snow pics from a hike in Tamaques Park with the parents earlier this week.


How could you not love hiking in this just down the street from your house?


Before I get accused of being an overly-bundling mother, Alex asked for his scarf to be wrapped up around his mouth.


Alex and Dad.


Alex and Mom.


All three of them.


Can you tell Lucy is looking back, wondering why in the world we are stopping to take pictures where there are many trails up ahead to be sniffed?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that picture of your folks and Alex!

Anonymous said...

Ok I think it is funny that your parents are in a "I love snow" post.

I too love the snow- Austin is out with friends right now trying to squeeze in 20 minutes of sledding before we head downtown to a hockey game. They probably aren't going to have school tomorrow, it's coming down like crazy.

It is so pretty, and yes Feb. is the biggest "snow" month around here and by the end of it I am ready to move on.... but here is the way I look at it- we try to take a trip to a warm destination in the middle of winter, that breaks up the coldness. We usually also have one or two weird warm days in the middle of winter. Although this year has been unusually cold. The other thing that I have found is that usually when I get to the point that I just can't take anymore (of that particular season) it changes. Springs are amazing up north, as are summers. Well fall is too. So if you can get through the cold of winter, all is well.

Now if only we lived closer....

Julie said...

To be fair to the parents, I don't think it is the snow they mind so much as it is the possibility of getting stuck at an airport. But that one time with those pictures was about the only time we really went out in it, so maybe they were just being nice.